Full-Time Senior Infrastructure Engineer
BigCommerce, named a ”Best Place to Work” in Australia, a “Best and Brightest” place to work in San Francisco, and a “Best Place to Work” in Austin, is looking for a full-time Senior Infrastructure Engineer in our Sydney office.
As an Infrastructure Engineer at BigCommerce, you’ll work as part of our Technical Operations team. Our Infrastructure Engineering team consists of a talented group of individuals who specialize not only in web operations and systems administration, but also software engineering. We’re charged with designing the underlying technology stack that powers BigCommerce stores, and building the underlying systems and tools that enable engineering teams to build and ship BigCommerce services.
We’re looking for an experienced candidate who brings a blended set of skills for software engineering and web operations to our team. In other organizations, you might have heard of this referred to as a “DevOps Engineer”. We like to believe DevOps is an idea, a theory, and a set of fundamentals about how we work and interact within our team, in engineering, and for our business.
Currently you’ll find us predominately working in Ruby, and PHP, backed up by Puppet for configuration management. We’ve also been known to work in JVM based languages (Scala), and with Go from time to time. We’re always integrating new services and new technologies into our environment – Docker, linkerd, HAProxy, Nomad and Terraform just to name a few.
What you will do:
- A software engineer with a curiosity for operations, or an operations engineer that wants to work closely with software engineers to help glue infrastructure and software together
- You understand scalable web architectures and have implemented a few
- Someone who loves to code, and you enjoy working in multiple programming languages. We primarily work with Ruby, PHP, and Puppet (for configuration management)
- You drive issues to completion, marshaling resources in high-pressure situations
- A good communicator, who works well with geographically distributed teams such as ours (we are split between Sydney, Austin, and San Francisco)
- You’re obsessive compulsive, in a good way. Your systems and scripts are clean, well-documented and comprehensible
- You have a passion for learning when it comes to working with new technologies or languages
Who you are:
Our ideal candidate possesses some or of the following skills:
- 3-5 year experience in building software for, operating, or supporting large Linux based web application environments
- Experience with UNIX systems administration, including solid scripting skills in Ruby, PHP, or Bash
- Experience running Docker with some kind of orchestration system such as Nomad, Kubernetes, or Amazon ECS (we use Nomad)
- Knowledge of configuration management systems such as Puppet, or Chef (we use Puppet)
- Experience with popular tools for monitoring web applications (we use New Relic, Nagios, Graphite, and StatsD to name a few)
Curious What We’ve Been Up To?
Curious what our Infrastructure Engineering team has been up to or some of our upcoming roadmap items you could have the opportunity to be involved in?
- We’ve designed and built out our Docker container environment, orchestrated by Nomad, with Consul for service registration, and Vault for secrets management (we’re big fans of HashiCorp software)
- Our team has built an all new shared load balancer environment, which powers the ingress traffic for all services in our SOA environment. We used a combination of DNS based traffic distribution, IPVS/LVS load balancing, and HAProxy. New services and backends automatically register against our load balancers using consul and consul-template
- We have built and deployed an internal services mesh for HTTP 1 and gRPC (H2) traffic using linkerd, which allows our services to discover each other, talk securely, and handle failures gracefully
- We’re in the process of deploying deploying BGP to manage network advertisements between our data centers, and enable us to automatically divert traffic through our DDoS mitigation provider. We’re also working on deploying our own L7 web-app firewalls in nginx
How to ApplyTo apply online, please click HERE. You will be redirected to our website.
394 total views, 1 today